In 2010, Lucinda Hartley spoke at TEDxMelbourne on the topic of urban rejuvenation and the benefits derived from developing positive public spaces around local areas:
Her talk inspired two University of Melbourne students, Priiyanca Nadarajah and Jamil Diu, to start their own project in early 2011. They called the project IMPRINT. It aims to facilitate urban and societal change by involving the local community and disengaged residents with the process of urban rejuvenation in their neighbourhood.
Fast forward to August 2012, Priiyanca and Jamil took the TEDxMelbourne stage to share their story. Lucinda’s TEDxMelbourne talk ignited their passion and they aim to be an inspiration to others through their work in various neighbourhoods around Melbourne, Australia.
Priiyanca and Jamil shared five tips on how you can encourage your community to actively design and shape their own neighbourhood and public spaces:
1. Talk to the local council. Your local council is there to serve its residents.
2. Write down or sketch your ideas. Present it to those around you and then to the council. Get everyone excited.
3. Little things matter. Urban renewal does not have to be large-scale. It is surprising how much a clean and vegetated footpath or sidewalk can do to your local area.
4. Connect. Find other like-minded individuals wanting urban change. Discuss improvements and be the change agents in your community.
5. Changes take time. Do not be discouraged if your local council does not follow through with your requests. Larger scale changes do take time to be approved and enacted.
It is encouraging to see how one TEDxMelbourne talk can lead to a great sustainability initiative in the city of Melbourne. TEDxMelbourne hopes to continue to be a catalyst in shaping Melbourne’s future and untapping other ideas worth spreading in its community.. For more info, visit the TEDxMelbourne website or connect on Facebook and Twitter.
Written by the TEDxMelbourne team
- edgarlorenzo likes this
- gr8npowerfulbeau likes this
- docnix12 likes this
- threesixfiveways likes this
- rev320productions likes this
- nickgmz210 likes this
- pendingtobreath reblogged this from tedx
- pendingtobreath likes this
- milosdaughter likes this
- muyuyuyan likes this
- matheusdf likes this
- guitarchitects reblogged this from tedx
- prenses-1 likes this
- sixpak99 likes this
- viewfrommilano likes this
- cabinwolf likes this
- jasmine-tai reblogged this from tedx
- abvetheclds reblogged this from tedx
- feed-well likes this
- ryanjob1990 reblogged this from tedx and added:
- middlechildmuses reblogged this from tedx
- middlechildmuses likes this
- williamdavie likes this
- tedx posted this