At TEDGlobal this year, TED producer June Cohen posed a question that has her stumped: Where are the women speakers?
She’s been asking this question since before she joined TED, and at the TEDx Workshop at TEDGlobal, she explained why she’s still asking it now. The main reason, she believes, is that women are more likely to say no. When turning down an offer to speak, women often say “I’m not ready,” citing a lack of experience or under-developed research.
There are plenty of other reasons as well, from different leadership styles to skewed recommendations, but, here, June offers three tactics to help change the ratio.
Below, June explains how we’re solving this imbalance here at TED:
Plus, a few other highlights from the TEDx Workshop at TEDGlobal:
- TED Curator Chris Anderson explains what makes a great talk, great.
- TED Content Director Kelly Stoetzel shares how TED and TEDx communities are built.
- TEDxBrookhouseSchool organizer Joyce Gacheru tells the story of hosting a TEDxYouth event in Nairobi, and the community that grew out of it.
- TEDxYale organizer Diana Enriquez offers tips for university TEDx events.
- TEDxJNJ organizer Steve Garguilo explains how TEDx can change a workplace.
- run-read-grind likes this
- mygreyzone reblogged this from tedx
- shopforchange likes this
- jasoncerrato likes this
- ciennasthoughts likes this
- shelaunched likes this
- wwbioteach reblogged this from tedx
- yourreputationprecedesyou likes this
- majoringinfandoms likes this
- disfordigital likes this
- wiccakat19 likes this
- juurianchi reblogged this from tedx
- miss-rumphius likes this
- fiutheatre likes this
- chelkristine reblogged this from tedx
- chelkristine likes this
- alenamalyarenko likes this
- supersexyraw likes this
- iamsiriuslyriddikulus reblogged this from tedx
- andnowweeat likes this
- lelemcd reblogged this from tedx
- eggsandpicantesauce likes this
- youpaintedmeinpastels likes this
- treatyoselfartie likes this
- archgrp likes this
- measuredwithcoffeespoons likes this
- tmblrofmich likes this
- 500postitnotes likes this
- decidophobe likes this
- ponytoes likes this
- humorousartist reblogged this from tedx
- nicoleruinsnicethings reblogged this from tedx
- milkchugger likes this
- shai5a391 likes this
- kthread likes this
- sixtysevenwords likes this
- emotionallysluttyspinster reblogged this from tedx
- bhutanmajestictravel1 likes this
- psicologicamenteblog likes this
- faerself likes this
- companyxwhiner reblogged this from tedx
- companyxwhiner likes this
- tedx posted this