We won’t judge you if you wear sweatpants.
TEDYouth is an amazing one-day conference for young people where some of the world’s most fascinating scientists, designers, technologists, explorers, artists, performers (and more!) share short lessons on what they do best. It’s the school seminar / life advice session / super-smart party we always wished we would have had as kids, and it’s this Saturday!
Only at TEDYouth would NASA Mohawk guy, an International Grandmaster of Chess, Jay-Z’s producer, and the creator of Google Glass hang out trading stories and answering questions — which is just what happened last year.
This year, TEDYouth is livestreaming free! In English, Arabic, and Spanish! Speakers include an elephant expert, the head of research at Pixar, a professional storm chaser, a 16-year-old DJ, and our favorite guerrilla gardener Ron Finley.
TEDYouth 2013 is gonna be great. And we hope you’ll watch it live with us. Because watching a TED Conference live is pretty amazing.
Here’s how you do it:
1. Register to host an official TEDxYouthDay viewing party event, and join lots of other TEDxYouth events around the globe.
2. Put on your PJs, heat up some pizza pockets, and get ready to have your mind blown by new ideas. TEDYouth will be webcast on November 16, 2013, from 11am to 6pm CDT (noon to 7pm EST).
Photo of the audience arriving this morning at TEDxMidAtlantic.
We’re live tweeting from TEDxMidAtlantic today! (You can find us on twitter using the hashtag #TEDxMid.) They’ve got a great speaker lineup today and tomorrow from 9-6pm, so join us & watch along on the livestream! Here’s the link: http://tedxmidatlantic.com/live/
We’ve seen a lot of fantastic talks already:
- Sam Berns — a 17-year-old with progeria, a rapid aging disease — talked about his philosophy for a happy life. Our favorite little nugget of wisdom: "I try not to waste time feeling bad for myself, because when I do, there’s no room for happiness."
- Leigh Gallagher — the editor of Fortune Magazine — talked about how the suburbs are changing into more urbanized communities. She also told us what pops up when you Google “suburbia is.” Go on, give it a try.
- Bayete Ross Smith — a mixed media artist — said everyone has the power to create change with new media: "We’re all media makers. We all have the responsibility to create things that challenge us to evolve our thinking." His own creations are pretty spectacular, too.
- Jim McGovern — a US congressman — talks about solving the hunger crisis. He says: "We have everything we need to end hunger except the political will."
There are many more thought-provoking talks to come! Watch the livestream today & tomorrow from 9-6pm. See you there :)
A past TEDxSeochoLive event in South Korea
Want to experience the excitement, vitality and ideas worth spreading from TED2013 with fellow TED and TEDx fans, but don’t have a badge lined up? No worries.
Next week TEDsters and TEDx’ers from around the world are gathering at 200 different TEDxLive events (in places like Cairo, Gothenburg, Kyiv, Santo Domingo, and Reno) to watch live webcasts of sessions from this year’s conference in Long Beach, and you can join them!
TEDxKrakowLive in Poland
Some events will have live speakers of their own, to celebrate “The Young. The Wise. The Undiscovered,” of their towns and communities, and others will simply provide the space and the live brain food for discussion, deliberation, new ideas and new connections.
To find an event near you, or just see what’s happening worldwide, check out all the TEDxLive events here.